The following process changes the VHD file size using the power shell (run as administrator).
- mount-vhd –passthru | get-disk | get-partition | get-volume
- This will mount the virtual hard disk in the management operating system, and let you know the drive letter that was assigned to it.
- Ex: mount-vhd F:\MYVHD.vhdx –passthru | get-disk | get-partition | get-volume
- resize-partition –driveletter –size
- This will resize the partition inside the virtual hard disk.
- Ex: resize-partition –driveletter I –size 60GB
- Dismount the virtual hard disk after shrinking the partition.
- EX: dismount-vhd F:\MYVHD.vhdx
- resize-vhd –ToMinimumSize
- Now shrink the virtual hard disk to match the new size
- EX: resize-vhd F:\MYVHD.vhdx –ToMinimumSize